What does this malware (virus) do?
This is what is called “ransomware”. Ransomware encrypts some or all of the files on your computer. To decrypt your files, you must pay a ransom in Bitcoin.
How can I get infected?
You can be infected by:
- Visiting an infected website
- Opening an email which contains the ransomware
- Other infected computers on your network can infect you
Am I at risk?
- You’re a windows computer user
- You have not installed the windows updates since March 14th
This affects everyone, regardless if you are an individual, a small business or a large organisation
Why Is March 14th important?
Microsoft updated their software on the 14th of March 2017 to prevent this sort of attack
Won’t my anti-virus protect me?
Probably not. You need to make sure you have the latest windows updates
How do I protect myself?
Do the following immediately:
- Don’t check email
- Don’t use the Internet (web browsing)
- Make sure every user on your computer network does this. If one computer gets infected it can infect everyone else.
- On each computer, update your windows software
- Don’t forget to update any Windows Servers too (if you have any)
How do I update Windows?
What’s this ransomware called?
It’s called “Wanna Decryptor”. It’s also know as WannaCry
How do I protect myself and my business permanently?
- Update your anti-virus and Windows Update regularly (weekly would be good)
- Backup your critical files regularly
Unfortunately really protecting yourself and your business is not simple and usually requires professional assistance. Please contact me if you would like to discuss how best you can protect your business.